One of the most asked questions from our users is whether they need a work visa to work with an app job. In most cases, the answer is YES. But in other cases, this might vary. In this post, you will learn the difference.

Check if you need a visa to work with:

  1. Driving and delivery jobs

  2. Online freelancing and teaching job

  3. Cleaning, babysitting, pet sitting, and other app jobs

1. Driving and delivery jobs


US & Europe:

While some people think that having a H1B working visa in the US will also allow them to work with an app job like Lyft or Doordash, this is wrong. On the contrary, the H1B visas only allow you to work for the employer who offered the visa. Working with an app job means being self-employed, which is only allowed once you have a Social Security Number (SSN).

As driving and delivering in a specific country means actually living there, you will of course need a visa – and, as different countries have different requirements, it is always best to check the options with the embassy. But this will not be enough if you want to drive with Lyft, or deliver with Doordash. Next to the visa you will need a type of personal number/social security number. DoorDash, for instance, will verify you through the SSN. In addition to that, Lyft require a US driver’s license for at least one year. Thus, besides having the legal right to live in the country, one needs an SSN, which in Europe can be the equivalent of a Personal Number. Find out how to apply for a Social Security number right here for the US, and check with specific embassies for Europe.

Are you a resident/do you have a work permit? Select your city and start working today!


If you are in Australia on a 573 visa or 574 visa (which are student visas), you can work 40 hours a fortnight during semester, including SWOTVAC and exam periods. This means you could work 15 hours one week and 25 the next, as long as you do not exceed 40 hours in any two-week period. You also have unlimited working hours during holiday periods. If you want to carry out deliveries with Foodora while on vacation, you only need working holiday visa for Australia, valid ABN and comprehensive third party insurance.

Tip: Cyclists are offered discounted insurance by Foodora!

Are you a resident/do you have a work permit? Select your city and start working today!

2. Online freelancing and teaching jobs


If you decide to work with your computer and sell your skills online, we have news – no need for a working visa! There are different platforms where you can find remote work, depending on your needs. If you want to teach languages online, Lingoda, Preply and Tandem are just a couple of options. If you want to teach a subject like math, film theory, music composition, Udemy will be your friend. Similarly, being a freelance writer, composer, business analyst or economist is easy with Upwork, PeoplePerHour or Freelancer.

Do you feel like online freelancing/teaching is for you? Select your city and start working today!

The nice thing about online freelancing, is not only that you don’t need a visa to work for an outside employer, but you can also get paid better by “working abroad.” However, what can be tricky is the payment method – you will have to complete and keep track of your revenue report. Learn more about the revenue scheme of teaching platforms here. As a freelance professional, you can choose the payment method yourself, and agree on it with the employer. You can choose between direct payment to a local bank, ACH direct deposit, wire transfer, PayPal, Payoneer, or M-Pesa..

3. Cleaning, babysitting, pet sitting and other app jobs


As with driving and delivery companies, Rover sitters, cleaners or Sittercity carers are not employees of either Rover, Care, or Sittercity. On the contrary, they are independent business owners. Just as driving and delivering, if you have a SSN, then you can create your sitter or cleaner profile. A H1B or holiday visa will not, unfortunately, permit you to work with app jobs.

As a general rule of thumb, however, student visas are more offering, making it easy to get any type of social security/personal number. So, if you move anywhere in the world as a student, it will be a piece of cake for you to work in the pet-sitting, babysitting or cleaning sectors. Once more, check with the embassy of the country you are planning to be in if there is a special type of personal number you need to apply for, or if only a visa is sufficient for an independent business owner.

So, a friendly reminder: before starting off with any job, make sure you carefully read all the requirements!

Are you a resident/do you have a work permit? Select your city and start working today!

Want more information?

Read here if you want to know what languages you need to speak when working abroad, and here if you want to learn a bit more about how AppJobs works.