Australia was ranked 6th by those expats who participated in the HBSC survey 2018. Considering the fact that Australia is an English-speaking country, it’s kind of understandable why it attracts so many people to try their luck there. The members of the younger generations can apply for a special visa depending on their country of citizenship.


1. What visa to apply for in Australia

Expats between 18 and 30 or 35 years don’t have to worry about getting a business visa. Those who want to work and travel in Australia for only a certain period of time can be granted:

• a Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417), or
• a Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)

The basic requirements are:

• You must be between 18 or 30. (For Canadians and Irish citizens, the age limit is 35 inclusive.)
• You must have a passport from an eligible country. (Find yours on one of the lists below.)
• You must not be accompanied by dependent children.

2. Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

Young expats between 18 to 30 years old, and Canadian and Irish citizens up to 35, can apply for a First Working Holiday Visa if they have a passport from an eligible country. With this kind of visa, they can stay and work in Australia for 12 months. It’s also possible to apply for a second Working Holiday visa if certain eligibility criteria are met. Both of them costs AUD450, and it takes approximately 21 to 53 days for the authorities to process them.

Remember that you need to have health insurance valid until the end of your stay in Australia.

With this kind of visa, you are eligible to:

• do short-term work (such as fruit picking, fishing, etc.) to help pay for your holiday
• study for up to 4 months
• travel to and from Australia as many times as you wish to
• do specified work to become eligible for a second Working Holiday visa

Work in:
• plant and animal cultivation
• fishing and pearling
• tree farming and felling
• mining
• construction

Aiming to find holiday gig jobs in Australia?
Search in Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Melbourne, Perth, or Sydney!

You should apply for this visa if you are from:

• United Kingdom
• Canada
• Belgium
• Denmark
• Estonia
• Finland
• France
• Germany
• Hong Kong
• Italy
• Japan
• Malta
• Netherlands
• Norway
• Republic of Ireland
• Republic of Cyprus
• Republic of Korea
• Sweden
• Taiwan


3. Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)

If you haven’t found your country on the first list, hopefully, it is listed on the second. The Work and Holiday Visa allows expats (between 18 to 30 years old) to spend 12 months in Australia travelling and working. In order for them to do that, they must have obtained a passport from an eligible country.

If certain eligibility criteria are met, you can apply for a second Work and Holiday. Both the first and second Work and Holiday visa costs AUD450. The applications are usually processed between 28 and 50 days.

Do specified work to be able to apply for the second visa:

• plant and animal cultivation in northern Australia and other specified areas of regional Australia
• fishing and pearling in northern Australia only
• tree farming and felling in northern Australia only
• tourism and hospitality in northern Australia only
• Remember that you need to have health insurance valid until the end of your stay in Australia.

You should apply for the Work and Holiday visa if you are from:

• Argentina
• Austria
• Chile
• The People’s Republic of China
• Czech Republic
• Hungary
• Indonesia
• Israel
• Luxembourg
• Malaysia
• Peru
• Poland
• Portugal
• San Marino
• Singapore
• Slovak Republic
• Slovenia
• Spain
• Thailand
• Turkey
• Uruguay
• Vietnam

4. How expats should apply for their visa

It is pretty simple but read about the conditions beforehand. Then click here, and submit the information required. In the case of subclass 462, you might need a letter of support from your government as well. They say they will call you back asap and process your visa. When your visa is granted, you can start your job hunt in Australia.

It doesn’t sound complicated at all, right?

Read More

Let’s Explore the Australian Job Market
Airtasker | Australia’s Most Popular Gig Economy Platform
Best Places for Expats in 2019
Working abroad – short introduction
Let’s Explore the US Job Market
Working Visa for the USA
Working holiday in the USA
Working in the USA without a green card? Employment Authorization Document can be the solution
Work with a Holiday Visa in Canada
Getting Work Permit in Canada
Planning to move to Europe to work?
Jobs in Europe for Americans
Looking for a job in the UK?
Working visa in the UK
Are you an EU citizen in the UK concerned about Brexit?